VTS / Appreciating Aesthetic Thinking - Tools for Facilitators - ONLINE (2021)
An extension of the Aesthetic Thought Mini-Workshop that was offered during the 2021VTS Online Summer Series, this new VTS workshop: "Appreciating Aesthetic Thinking - Tools for Facilitators" is a closer look at viewer comments and their connection to Aesthetic Development.
VTS is based on decades of research by Dr. Abigail Housen into the way people look at and think about works of art. Housen's stages lay out literally hundreds of specific ways we make sense of artworks, and the patterned ways those grow out of each other, and change. With time to slow down, this 8-hour workshop will guide participants to appreciate the thinking present in each comment.
As a group, we will consider the thinking behind specific comments, dive into some areas of aesthetic development that are relevant and challenging, and practice how we can use this in facilitating VTS discussions. Opportunities to examine viewer comments (from young people and adults) through Housen’s lens, will illuminate shifts in aesthetic thinking and attune your perception to the exciting work of cognitive growth - it is a delightful, messy, surprising, and steady path.
This workshop will be led by Amy Chase Gulden, VTS Trainer, and Tara Geer, Housen’s daughter, who is engaged in continued research around the significance of aesthetic thought and its role in general cognitive development.
- Fee: $275
- This workshop is designed for practitioners who have completed VTS Beginner Practicum or beyond.
- This workshop will not focus on facilitation practice and coaching.
- Tuesday, November 30
- Thursday, December 2
- Tuesday, December 7
- Thursday, December 9
All sessions will take place from 4:00pm - 6:00pm (Pacific Time).
- This is an online workshop. We will be utilizing digital platforms such as Zoom and Google.
- Information for accessing the course materials will be emailed to participants before the start of the course. Participants must be able to attend all meetings to complete this workshop. In addition to class meetings, participants should plan to complete brief assignments/reflections between each class.
- Closed Captioning available.
- This workshop will be conducted in English.
VTS Program Notes
- This course is scheduled in Pacific time zone. Please check your personal time zone alignment before registering.
- *Course must have a minimum of 10 enrolled in order to run.*
- Questions? Please contact Em Miller, VTS Trainer & Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.